Fall Tour are SOLD OUT!
Fall Tour are SOLD OUT!
- Important Information
- Warning: Know Your Limits!
- Appropriate Footwear
- Inappropriate Footwear
- Tour Dates
- Schools and Special Tours
Because the tour is on an active Navy base, all persons on the tour must follow Navy rules.
- All visitors must be US citizens.
- All visitors must be over 10 years of age. No pets.
- Visitors must be in good physical condition.
- The petroglyphs are in a desert mountain canyon. The ground is uneven sand and rock, temperatures are extremely variable, water is essential.
- Dress appropriately, no open-toed shoes.
- Bring required documents including valid vehicle registration and insurance. Your vehicle will be inspected on the base.
Please download and complete BOTH the Petroglyph Application by clicking on the ‘Application for Petroglyph Tours’ photo along with the SECNAV Form, NAWS PAO by clicking on the ‘ECNAV Form, NAWS PAO’ photo. Both form sMUST be completed and returned. The Navy’s Department of Security now requires this form ‘ECNAV Form, NAWS PAO’ to be completed and signed by every person age 16 and over going on a Petroglyph Tour on the Naval Air Weapons Station, China Lake, as of September 5, 2014. This is basically an application for a temporary permit for access to NAWC during the day of your petroglyph tour. Thank you. The ECNAV Form, NAWS PAO form will ONLY open in the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader. To download or upgrade, please go to http://get.adobe.com/reader/.
Inappropriate Footwear for Petroglyph Tours
Saturday, Sept. 23 – FULL Sunday, Sept. 24 – FULL Saturday, Sept. 30 –FULL
Sunday, Oct. 01 FULL Saturday, Oct. 07 –FULL Sunday, Oct. 08 –FULL Saturday, Oct 14 –FULL Sunday, Oct 15 –FULL Saturday, Oct 28 – FULL Sunday, Oct. 29 –FULL
Saturday, Nov. 11 – FULL Sunday, Nov. 12 –FULL Saturday, Nov. 18 –FULL Sunday, Nov. 19 –FULL
Saturday, Dec. 02 –FULL Sunday, Dec. 03 – FULL
Petroglyph Tours cost $55 for museum members and $60 for nonmembers. The museum provides experienced, trained tour guides. Please:
- Read all the information contained on this page of the Maturango Museum website
- Download the forms (Application and SECNAV Form, NAWS PAO using ONLY Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Follow the directions to submit the form with payment to the Maturango Museum
Special Lectures on the Coso Petroglyphs
Free lectures on Coso Petroglyphs—this spring, Maturango Museum Archaeology Curator and Archaeologist Alexander “Sandy” Rogers will give his excellent lecture on the Coso Petroglyphs on Saturday, September 23, Saturday, Saturday, November 11 and Saturday, December 02. All lectures are free to the public and will begin at 7 p.m. in the Museum’s Sylvia Winslow Gallery. Seating is limited and is on a first-come, first-served basis. Lectures are designed for those who have taken or will take a petroglyph tour through the Museum.
Petroglyph Tour Procedures
Ridgecrest Petroglyph Festival
Petroglyph Tour Photos
Petroglyph Tour Guides Appreciation Event, Feb. 08, 2015
Petroglyph Park Photos (located one block from the Maturango Museum)
The mission of the Maturango Museum is to preserve, interpret, and develop an appreciation for the natural and cultural history of the Northern Mojave Desert through research and education in the natural and physical sciences, and to promote the arts.
Featured Artist Interviews
100 East Las Flores Ave
Ridgecrest, CA 93555
760-375-6900 | FAX 760-375-0479
Open Daily 10 am to 5 pm
(Excluding Major Holiday)